Wednesday 19 September 2007

R.I.P. Reggie Brown, 2005-2007


In the wake of Reggie Brown's sad demise as a useful fantasy football player, tributes have come pouring in from all over the league. These are some of the most touching.

---

Brian Westbrook: My earliest memory of Reggie was during his first game against Washington, when he sat in the middle of the field before the game started and refused to play because he wasn't getting enough throws. He was subbing for T.O, see, and he'd been ordered to act as greedy as possible. Hell, he even threatened to hold out when a vending machine only gave him one can of Mountain Dew instead of the eight "a superstar of his magnitude" deserved. He was so greedy, even T.O. himself was impressed. He was a man playing among boys, and I'll miss his steady eight or nine points every week.

Donovan McNabb: I'll never forget the day Reggie convinced me to grow my hair out. He said we'd both do it together, and if the media laughed at us, well, we'd get our own back by winning the Super Bowl. Then he turned up at practice with no hair at all, and everyone laughed at me, so I threw twelve interceptions in the next game just to show how dirty I was willing to play. I don't know why Reggie has suddenly become such a poor choice at wide receiver, but I'm certain that in some way, the white man is to blame.

Terrell Owens: He carried my bags in from the team bus once, I thought he was with the hotel. Man knew how to take a suitcase to the face.

Mark Richt: I coached Reggie when he was a Bulldog, and I can safely say I've never seen anyone quite so crazy. Once, he poured wheatgrass into a Florida player's helmet, and when the guy put his helmet on, Reggie kicked him in the crotch. It would have helped if he hadn't done it in a bowl game, but that was Reggie. Once he got an idea, he was going to have sex to with it and there was nothing anybody could do to stop him.

Michael Lee: Reggie was a big inspiration to me as a kid. I had him in a money league last year, and it came down to the wire between me and someone in Minneapolis for $500. I was down eight points with only Reggie left to play, and the Minneapolis guy was already talking trash about what he was going to do with the money, he was either going to use it to pay for his son's dialysis or his own impending liver transplant. So I'm just sitting there, biding my time, and boom! Reggie catches a touchdown, gets a hundred yards and I won by one point. So, naturally, I could only say "HOW'D YOU LIKE THAT DIALYSIS, BITCH?" to the guy in Minneapolis. A couple of weeks later, I found out he died because he couldn't pay for his new liver and his heart stopped worrying about it. True story.

No comments: